Foursquare ITP is helping to develop an update to the annual multimodal performance report for transportation in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Draft version of the Performance Report – consistent with the goals and objectives of VTrans2040 – was developed in 2016. This update of the performance report will compile more recent data and information to track progress in attainment of the goals, objectives, and guiding principles developed for VTrans and finalize the report for release to the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) and public. This document will also provide research and strategy support for Office of Intermodal Planning and Investment (OIPI), Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT), and the Secretary’s Office to facilitate discussions with the CTB as it relates to target setting and future performance report development. Foursquare ITP’s role includes supporting Cambridge Systematics in direct coordination and advisory activities with the Secretary’s Office, OIPI, VDOT, and DRPT. These activities will also include collaboration with stakeholders, including discussions with the CTB as well as other key stakeholders throughout Virginia, including MPOs. Areas where CS and Foursquare ITP will provide support (in addition to direction received specifically from the Secretary’s Office and OIPI) include:
- Establish and define the objectives for VTrans performance management and target setting.
- Define the overlaps and differences between the VTrans performance management and target setting process and MAP-21/FAST Act requirements.
- Clearly document the linkage of VTrans guiding principles, goals and objectives to SMART SCALE and the VMTP 2025 Recommendations.
- Clarify the role of the 2016 Performance Report as a baseline, and establish objectives and timing for future performance reports, including reporting requirements and tools.
- Conduct national target setting research (CS will build from extensive current research developed for FHWA) and develop examples of optimal practices for Virginia.
- Provide support through facilitating interagency coordination, including discussions with the MPO community (preferably through VAMPO).
- Provide content for presentations and briefings with the CTB and Multi-Modal Working Group.