Join a leading transportation and transit planning company and advance your career! Foursquare Integrated Transportation Planning, Inc. (Foursquare ITP) is looking for qualified, motivated, and passionate candidates for a Transportation Planner / Senior Data Scientist position. This position is for skilled analysts, coders, and data visualizers who not only utilize their extensive technical skills but provide direction and guidance to junior staff. The position provides the opportunity to help Transportation Planner / Data Scientists conduct research, build tools, and conduct detailed analysis of complex transportation problems using code. With this position, you would contribute to a wide variety of transportation planning projects and learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry.
Foursquare ITP’s work is centered on our four core values, and we are looking for someone who lives these every day:
Passion for the Profession
Our success is rooted in our belief in and passion for our work, meeting all challenges with the appropriate set of skills, knowledge, and the desire to do our best.
Dedication to Our Clients
We approach our clients with integrity, open communication, and collaboration to ensure that their needs are being met. Each client receives the personal attention, respect, and high-quality work for which we are known.
Investment in Each Other
We respect all team members professionally and personally. We focus on continuous professional growth and improvement and promote a healthy balance between work and outside endeavors.
Our team is driven by a can-do spirit and a strong work ethic, applying our adaptability and resourcefulness to every task. We truly enjoy our work and bring a positive attitude that is evident in everything we do.
This position combines traditional transportation planning with in-depth data analysis of transportation and transit data. You will work as part of the Transportation Data Science Team and will be responsible for conducting and overseeing data analysis, GIS-based analysis, and work on data visualization tasks. Some tasks will be for specific transportation and transit planning projects, while some will be for internal tool development that can be applied to a variety of projects. Foursquare ITP projects span a diverse range of contexts and scales, including transit development plans, transportation needs assessments, station access and capacity plans, transit route planning, long-range planning, and transit performance monitoring. Responsibilities will include:
- Performing work in data science and visualization that requires the use of complex methodologies, challenging datasets, and close coordination with stakeholders.
- Serving as the task lead or manager for data analysis and visualization components of client projects and for small research and development efforts.
- Writing reports, technical memos, and presentations.
- Identifying needs for new internal tools (e.g., R packages, Shiny web applications, reusable scripts), developing, and maintaining them for clients or for internal use.
- Developing and applying a variety of methods for analysis of complex transit and geospatial data sets (such as fine-grain bus APC, AVL, and other ITS data).
- Performing advanced data visualization using ggplot2, Tableau, or similar visualization packages.
- Overseeing analysis tasks performed by Transportation Planners, providing guidance, and conducting code review.
- Developing training materials for other staff and providing training while continuing training in programming.
- Supporting basic business development activities, including networking, presenting at events and conferences, developing proposals, and meeting with potential clients and partners.
Required Skills and Experience
The selected candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree required in planning, transportation, GIS, computer science, mathematics or related field with 4-10+ years of experience; OR
- Master’s degree strongly preferred in planning, transportation or related field with 4-10+ years of experience.
- Understanding of the concepts of transportation planning and transit planning.
- Strong ability in coding, geospatial analysis, and data visualization. Expertise in R, the tidyverse packages, and the sf package preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with GIS software such as ArcGIS.
- Ability to complete all portions of an analysis using code.
- Capabilities in writing and speaking about technical parts of analysis for varying audience levels.
- Growing capabilities in supervisory, coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to provide both constructive feedback and recognition to internal staff with whom they are working.
Foursquare ITP enjoys a strong reputation and has the opportunity to work on a wide variety of high-visibility, high-impact projects. Our company conducts a broad range of transportation planning studies, with specific expertise in transit service and operations planning, corridor studies, multimodal access planning, transportation demand management, strategic planning and performance measurement, and bike share planning. The Foursquare ITP headquarters is adjacent to a Metrorail station in a walkable community in Rockville, Maryland (Washington, DC area). We have grown quickly over the past several years to 45 employees and have two satellite offices in Boston, MA and Philadelphia, PA.
We offer competitive salary based on experience and qualifications. Our extensive benefits package includes:
- Generous vacation and personal leave
- Flexible holiday leave and sick leave programs
- 401k with company match
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Account option
- Company-funded long- and short-term disability insurance and life insurance
- Subsidized transit benefit
- Complimentary personal financial planning through our benefits administrator
- Regular internal trainings in R and other programs
- Professional development opportunities and conference attendance
- Paid membership to an industry organization
- Companywide telework policy
- Paid cell phone plan
- Semi-annual retreats with fun, team building activities
- Holiday/New Year party for all employees and their significant others
- Summer picnic for all employees and their families
Résumés and cover letters will be accepted until February 29, 2020 and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foursquare ITP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.