Join a leading transportation and transit planning company and advance your career! Foursquare Integrated Transportation Planning, Inc. (Foursquare ITP) is looking for qualified, motivated, and passionate candidates for Transportation Planner / Data Scientist positions. This position provides the opportunity to help build tools and conduct detailed analysis of complex transportation and transit data using code while contributing to a wide variety of transportation planning projects and learning from some of the best and brightest in the industry.
Foursquare ITP’s work is centered on our four core values, and we are looking for someone who lives these every day:
Passion for the Profession
Our success is rooted in our belief in and passion for our work, meeting all challenges with the appropriate set of skills, knowledge, and the desire to do our best.
Dedication to Our Clients
We approach our clients with integrity, open communication, and collaboration to ensure that their needs are being met. Each client receives the personal attention, respect, and high-quality work for which we are known.
Investment in Each Other
We respect all team members professionally and personally. We focus on continuous professional growth and improvement and promote a healthy balance between work and outside endeavors.
Our team is driven by a can-do spirit and a strong work ethic, applying our adaptability and resourcefulness to every task. We truly enjoy our work and bring a positive attitude that is evident in everything we do.
You will work as part of the Transportation Data Science Team and will be responsible for conducting data analysis, GIS-based analysis, and work on data visualization tasks. Some tasks will be for specific transportation and transit planning projects, while some will be for internal tool development that can be applied to a variety of projects. Foursquare ITP projects span a diverse range of contexts and scales, including transit development plans, transportation needs assessments, station access and capacity plans, transit route planning, long range planning, and transit performance monitoring. Responsibilities will include:
- Participating in teams focused on a variety of project types with multiple project managers.
- Conducting basic data loading, cleaning, and analysis in R.
- Developing and applying a variety of methods for analysis of complex transit data sets (including fine-grain bus APC, AVL, and other ITS data).
- Writing code in R to aid in the development of internal tools to be used across multiple projects.
- Producing data visualizations in ggplot2, Tableau, and other programs.
- Conducting GIS-based analysis and making legible maps that convey complex information.
Required Skills and Experience
The selected candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree required in planning, GIS, computer science, mathematics, or related field; plus 1-2 years of relevant experience, OR
- Master’s in planning, transportation, data science, computer science, or related field.
- Experience with the R programming language in an educational or professional setting.
Foursquare ITP enjoys a strong reputation and has the opportunity to work on a wide variety of high-visibility, high-impact projects. Our company conducts a broad range of transportation planning studies, with specific expertise in transit service and operations planning, corridor studies, multimodal access planning, transportation demand management, strategic planning and performance measurement, and bike share planning. The Foursquare ITP headquarters is adjacent to a Metrorail station in a walkable community in Rockville, Maryland (Washington, DC area). We have grown quickly over the past several years to 45 employees and have two satellite offices in Boston, MA and Philadelphia, PA.
We offer competitive salary based on experience and qualifications. Our extensive benefits package includes:
- Generous vacation and personal leave
- Flexible holiday leave and sick leave programs
- 401k with company match
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Account option
- Company-funded long- and short-term disability insurance and life insurance
- Subsidized transit benefit
- Complimentary personal financial planning through our benefits administrator
- Regular internal trainings in R and other programs
- Professional development opportunities and conference attendance
- Paid membership to an industry organization
- Companywide telework policy
- Paid cell phone plan
- Semi-annual retreats with fun, team building activities
- Holiday/New Year party for all employees and their significant others
- Summer picnic for all employees and their families
Résumés and cover letters will be accepted until February 29, 2020 and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foursquare ITP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.