If you are passionate about public transportation, biking, walking and helping others make sustainable travel choices; are creative; driven to excel in all that you do; interested in growing professionally; and enjoys working with teams, then this is the position for you. This position specifically will work on helping teachers, staff, and the more than 100,000 K-12 students and families in the District of Columbia increase their use of sustainable transportation options for getting to school.
In this position, you will play a key role in developing and running a new initiative under DDOT’s goDCgo office, a Transportation Demand Management (TDM) for Schools program. You will be responsible for developing a marketing and work plan for the program based on strategies and recommendations set forth in DDOT’s TDM for Schools Plan, which is currently under development. In addition to program development, you will be responsible for direct outreach to public, charter, and private school students and staff throughout the District, building the relationships needed to effectively collaborate on strategies that will shift travel behaviors away from driving alone toward other modes such as walking, biking, carpooling, and public transit. These behavior shifts allow everyone to travel more easily and sustainably and reduce stress on city infrastructure.
While many of the specific program components will be based on strategies and recommendations in DDOT’s forthcoming TDM for Schools Plan, you will have the opportunity to flex your creativity, planning, and program management muscles as you work with goDCgo staff to determine the most impactful ways to use this platform to help increase awareness and use of sustainable transportation options in the District.
Foursquare ITP, DDOT’s vendor, is a transportation planning firm based in Rockville, Maryland that offers our clients expertise in many aspects of transportation demand management, transit planning, regional and corridor transportation planning, multimodal planning, and public outreach. You will split your time between our Rockville office and the District DOT office and will be a member of a larger TDM team that works collaboratively to promote sustainable transportation choices to a wide variety of audiences throughout the District of Columbia.
Selected responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a program work plan and marketing campaign to grow a culture of sustainable commuting in District schools.
- Supporting the design and production of customized marketing materials to facilitate awareness and encouragement of using sustainable transportation options.
- Creating and distributing a monthly school newsletter to administrators, teachers, and parents.
- Providing professional customized consultative services to District schools to help increase awareness and use of modes such as walking, biking, carpooling, and transit among students, families, and staff.
- Organizing and hosting events, such as webinars, lunch and learns, and workshops, to raise awareness of sustainable transportation options among school staff and administrators.
- Conducting regular in-person outreach at schools to promote sustainable transportation options.
- Organizing and supporting transportation events related to TDM in schools, such as Bike to Work Day, Bike to School Day, Car-Free Day, Bus to Work Day, Telework Week, and Walk to School Day.
- Collaborating with the goDCgo marketing manager and other staff to coordinate support for employer recognition events, marketing, social media, website updates, newsletters, blogs, and outreach.
- Maintaining and updating detailed accounts and accurate information in customer relationship management (CRM) software.
We’re excited about you because:
- You’re passionate about transit, multimodal transportation, active transportation, and public engagement.
- You are a positive team-player who is well-organized and a proactive communicator.
- You are able to rely on your past experience while being open to new ideas and ways of working.
- You are self-motivated and take ownership of your work.
Foursquare ITP offers:
- Competitive salaries.
- A complete benefits package including free or heavily subsidized healthcare and 401k match.
- Generous leave policies.
- Monthly transit benefit for commuting.
- A collaborative environment working with remarkable employees at all levels.
- Mentorship, both formal and informal, training, and professional development opportunities.
Education and experience requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree preferably in a related field such as Education, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or Public Administration – although if an applicant has a degree in another field, related work experience may substitute for a degree in one of these fields.
- Previous experience should include work with the community and stakeholder engagement, in a schools, public agency, or non-profit setting.
- Previous experience in transportation demand management, safe routes to school, or in working in a school environment is a plus, but it is not required.
- Excellent listening, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Spanish is beneficial.
- Understanding of and experience utilizing sales principles (e.g., developing and qualifying leads, handling objections, closing sales) is highly preferred.
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) is beneficial.
- Experience working with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software is preferred.
Applications (résumés and cover letters) will be accepted until September 30, 2019 with candidates reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.